Search This Blog

Thursday 20 October 2011

Tokina RMC 28mm F/2.8

 

I've been updating more frequently but it's been a while since there has been a lens review so without further ado here is a review of the Tokina RMC 28mm F/2.8. In my last entry I was somewhat critical of the SLRmagic 28mm lens which costs £100 so let's see how this legacy lens does bearing in mind that if you're lucky you can drop a zero off the price of the SLRmagic lens!

 

Build quality and finish:

Perfect pretty much, it's not a Leica but it's solid, well damped and feels like it will never break, you can't really ask for more from a lens in this class. Tokina have always had a reputation for build quality which persists today with their modern AF lenses.

 

Image Quality:

The lens puts in a very decent performance with great central sharpness at F/2.8 which does fall off somewhat at the boarders but not too much. Once the lens is stopped down to F.5.6-F/8 there is impressive sharpness across the image frame. The lens gives very nice saturated colours and contrast is good and punchy as well. Bokeh whilst not the first thing on people's minds with such a lens is commendably smooth for such a lens and certainly doesn't spoil a picture when it rears it's head!


Porthcawl harbour

Porthcawl harbour

Ogmore Vale

Bristol Balloon Fiesta 2010

Porthcawl

Porthcawl

Porthcawl


Conclusion?:

This is a great inexpensive lens that is well made and gives nice punchy images. If you shop around you can get it for very little money although they are starting to creep up in price. If you have trouble finding one then look out for rebranded versions of the same lens, the Mitsuki 28mm F/2.8 for example is the exact same lens except it has an auto/manual switch!

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I have the JML version of this lens that I bought new on Ebay for about 35 USD. It is the best wide angle lens I have ever owned. Period.

alexlhf said... Best Blogger Tips

whats the camera body used in these photos? thanks

VideoBodaMallorca said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't wait to have on my hands the Tokina RMC 28mm that I've bought, I paid about 45€.
I love the photo of the hot air ballon, the color andthe sharpness. Please, tell us which body did you use to make these photos.

D said... Best Blogger Tips

@VideoBodaMallorca

Hi there,

The first three were taken with an Olympus E-410, the hot air balloon one was taken with a Panasonic G1 and the rest were taken with a Canon EOS 60D

D said... Best Blogger Tips

@alexlhf

Hi there,

The first three were taken with an Olympus E-410, the hot air balloon one was taken with a Panasonic G1 and the rest were taken with a Canon EOS 60D

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Great photos.
It proves my point I have been trying to get across to people for years, that older non-"digital" lens can be as good and indeed better than their modern day counterparts.
You have proved my point conclusively and made my day - Thanks !

Wouter said... Best Blogger Tips

Today I bought a (seems good working) Minolta XG-M with a MD Rokkor 50mm 1.4, Tokina 70-210 f4-5.6, a tripod and this lens together for €15 on a market. Nice to see this is a good performing lens. I already had an adapter for MD-Olympus FT (and FT-mFT), so I can also use it digital.

zorglub76 said... Best Blogger Tips

What a strange lens! I received it yesterday and at first thought it was very soft. Then i found out that it actually lacks contrast (severely) and has strong color aberrations and flare. Even the focus peaking on my NEX-5n was struggling with the lack of contrast. But when I entered the pics to Lightroom, i found out that the lens is indeed sharp and the pictures are pretty good (you can check them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorglub76/sets/72157635061803802 ). It also casts a yellowish tone. Another strange thing is that it goes to infinity just after two meters. So, you can set it to infinity and go to the streets - everything will be focused nicely. I'm still not sure whether I hate or love this lens. It fits my needs perfectly, it gives me pictures that I didn't want to shoot, but that I like... I guess a simple Lightroom preset would fix the problems with contrast and aberrations. Strange lens. I guess that is what people call "lens with a character".

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi will a lens fit a 700D? I saw 1 online for 30€ thought it might be worth it.

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

Unknown: The third element in the front Monoblock is probably reversed.Thats the bottom lens in the 'pot',the one prior to the Apreture.

geoff radnor said... Best Blogger Tips

I have just got a Tokina 28 2.8 RMC attached to a Konica body for US$20. I hope it lives up to it's reputation as illustrated here.

Post a Comment

Followers